Brand Copywriter | SF
March 04, 2021
Character is a San Francisco and New York-based brand strategy and design agency building and partnering with some of the world's most renowned and revered brands, including Nike, Netflix, Instagram and Tom Ford. We're also known for our expertise in launching new businesses and brands - many of our clients are early-stage companies with inspiring visions to change the lives of their consumers.
We are champions for meaningful progress and we aim to be a force for good—for our people, for our clients, for the industry and for our society. We keep our people at the center, creating space for growth, understanding and learning so they can succeed. We embed diversity, in our mindset, in our products and in our teams to empower an inclusive, equitable and culturally fluent environment. Building this culture within our teams makes us better collaborators with each other and with our clients, driving better outcomes for all. Character is an agency of dentsu.
Character is looking for a Copywriter to work with our strategy, program management, and design teams to build verbal identities, naming, and copywriting.
You are a strategic and collaborative thinker who's comfortable managing deadlines across multiple projects concurrently while writing in multiple voices. You are a conceptual thinker, can structure thinking logically for non-writers, and maintain high creative quality across multiple projects. Lastly, you are curious and approach projects with enthusiasm and wit. Once it is safe to return to an office, you will be based in San Francisco and will report to the Head of Strategy + Copy.
- Work with interdisciplinary team members to create brand identities for early-stage startups and legacy brands
- Develop verbal guidelines, product copy, brand personas, web writing, ad examples, naming, and scripts across several voices, to live in multiple channels including digital, print, packaging, and campaign activations
- Create verbal identity frameworks including articulation and tactical guidance around voice traits, key messaging, and brand stewardship
- Oversee brand naming development for the entire naming process, from generation, to shortlisting, to finalizing
- Bring a deep fascination and understanding of culture into the room: literature, art, design, music and online culture should all be areas you have an active interest in
- A healthy fascination with culture and technology and a fluency in the shifting nature of language in today's world
- A deep sense of value for communicating complex verbal concepts to any audience, whether it's your team, a brand's internal writers, or an external audience
- The skills to succeed independently
- A command of punctuation, spelling, structure, and organization
- 2+ years experience developing verbal identities (voice and messaging), naming, or copywriting
- Bachelor's degree or related relevant experience in Marketing, Advertising, English, or Communications
Perks and Benefits:
- Great salary and benefits package
- Benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- 401k matching
- Unlimited vacation time
- Creative projects and amazing clients
- Up to 16 weeks leave for the birth, adoption or foster placement of a child.
- FSA, commuter benefits