Design Director | SF
October 20, 2020
Character is a San Francisco and New York-based brand strategy and design agency building and partnering with some of the world's most renowned and revered brands, including Nike, Netflix, Instagram and Tom Ford. We're also known for our expertise in launching new businesses and brands - many of our clients are early-stage companies with inspiring visions to fundamentally change the lives of their consumers.
Diversity is embedded in who we are and all that we do: our mindset, our solutions, and in our teams to empower an inclusive, equitable environment. We put our people at the center, creating space for growth, understanding and learning so they can thrive. Our differences make us richer and enable stronger relationships with each other and foster greater impact for our clients. We engage with our communities to guide positive social impact by fostering equity and working to create a digital society that works for all. Character is an agency of dentsu.
Now, we're looking for a Design Director that is not just imaginative and has a talent for beautiful craft, but is also a systems-thinker that can build powerful identities from our strategy work. You will report to the Creative Directors in the San Francisco office.
- Produce compelling ideas and develop them into tangible design solutions across digital, experiential, offline media, and beyond.
- Have not just a talent for craft, but an ability to create craft at scale, bringing story and system together.
- Mentor and lead teams of designers to envision and develop identity systems that help solve for complex brand challenges.
- Powerful at presenting concepts and creative ideas to both our teams and clients.
- Lead and nurture mutually respectful relationships with our clients,
- Work together with an accomplished team of strategists, designers, writers, program managers, developers, AR specialists, motion designers, and more.
- Develop from concept to completion.
- 7+ years experience in a graphic design role, agency or in-house design team environment.
- At least 2 years of managing teams and working with other disciplines.
- A portfolio that shows beautiful and creative solutions.
- Mastery of the design fundamentals: typography, composition, color, layout.
- Experience in brand system building and establishing a brand platform.
- Experience in designing for digital Proficiency in Adobe CC Creative Suite (i.e. Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign).
- Print production/pre-press knowledge; experience working with vendors, attending press checks and proofing (a huge plus).
- Curiosity, enthusiasm, and drive.
- Competitive salary
- Medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and many other additional benefits
- 401k matching
- Flexible Time-Off
- Wellness corporate discounts
- Home-office reimbursement for desks and internet