Senior Writer | SF + NY
October 20, 2020
Character is a San Francisco and New York-based brand strategy and design agency building and partnering with some of the world’s most renowned and revered brands, including Nike, Netflix, Instagram and Tom Ford. We’re also known for our expertise in launching new businesses and brands - many of our clients are early-stage companies with inspiring visions to fundamentally change the lives of their consumers.
Diversity is embedded in who we are and all that we do: our mindset, our solutions, and in our teams to empower an inclusive, equitable environment. We put our people at the center, creating space for growth, understanding and learning so they can thrive. Our differences make us richer and enable stronger relationships with each other and foster greater impact for our clients. We engage with our communities to drive positive social impact by fostering equity and working to create a digital society that works for all. Character is an agency of dentsu.
We are looking for a Senior Copywriter to work with our strategy, program management, and design teams to build verbal identities, naming, and copywriting. In this role, you are a strategic and collaborative thinker who's comfortable managing deadlines across multiple projects concurrently, while writing in multiple voices. You are a conceptual thinker, can structure thinking logically for non-writers, and maintain high creative quality across multiple projects. Lastly, you are curious and approach projects with enthusiasm and wit. This role could be based in New York City or San Francisco and reports to the Head of Strategy.
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary team members to create brand identities for early stage startups and legacy brands
- Develop verbal guidelines, product copy, brand personas, web writing, ad examples, naming, and scripts across various voices, to live in a variety of mediums including digital, print, packaging, and experiential applications
- Create verbal identity frameworks that include articulation and tactical guidance around voice traits, key messaging, and brand stewardship
- Oversee brand naming development for the entire naming process, from generation, to shortlisting, to finalizing
- Lead mid-level copywriters and help cross-disciplinary teammates develop their verbal/writing skills
- A fascination with culture and technology and fluency in the shifting nature of language in today's world
- A deep sense of value for communicating complex verbal concepts to any audience, whether it's your team, a brand's internal writers, or an external audience
- Both a collaborative spirit and the skills to succeed independently
- A command of punctuation, spelling, structure, and organization
- 5+ years experience developing verbal identities (voice and messaging), naming, and/or copywriting
- Bachelor's degree or related relevant experience in Marketing, Advertising, English, or Communications
- Competitive salary
- Medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and many other additional benefits
- 401k matching
- Flexible Time-Off
- Wellness corporate discounts
- Home-office reimbursement for desks and internet